Monday, May 24, 2010

Greek Pasta Salad




This morning when I arrived back home from the dentist, I found two recipes on my kitchen table. One was for pizza dough and the other one was for a Greek Pasta Salad. I knew that I didn't clip them, so I wondered where they came from.  My housekeeper, Carol, said she brought them in for me.  She had gotten them from a friend of hers, Bob Fisher, that she used to work with years ago at BOCES.  She had run into him at Walmart a few days ago, and he told her to try this recipe.

I had been running around all day and was looking for a fast side dish to make with some barbecue chicken for tonights dinner, and thought this looked easy and sounded delicious.  Since everyone in my house is suddenly on a diet (the wedding is coming quickly), I thought this was great.  Not too much pasta, some olive oil, lots of veggies, okay, so the cheese and salami is not quite diet like, but not as bad as my usual fettuccine alfredo!

I'm sorry I didn't have time to do a step by step on this recipe, but I was trying to get it done quickly, and it's pretty basic to do, so I am just giving you the recipe on this one.  Try it, I sampled a little to check the seasonings and it was delicious!

Here is the recipe:

Greek Pasta Salad

1 box of spiral pasta (Rotelli) cooked according to the package directions

For the dressing:

1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar (I used red wine with garlic)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (I had garlic salt)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (I used a little less)
3/4 teaspoon sugar

1 pint of cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
1 red bell pepper, cut into thin slices and then finely diced
2 bunches of scallions, finely chopped
1 can medium sized black olives, pitted, drained and cut in half
10 - 12 Kalamata Olives, pitted, and cut in half
3/4 cup Genoa Salami (I bought a little under 1/2 pound and had them slice it about 1/4 - inch thick) cut into cubes
3/4 cup crumbled Feta Cheese (I bought about a 6 ounce piece, and crumbled it myself so it would be fresh)

In a large bowl, mix the olive oil, vinegar, garlic powder, basil, oregano, pepper, and sugar with a whisk.

Cook the pasta in boiling, salted water according to the directions.  Drain and rinse with cold water.

While the pasta is cooking, cut the tomatoes, red bell pepper, scallions, olives, and salami.

Add the cooled pasta to the dressing mix and toss.  Add in all the vegetable and 3/4 of the feta cheese.
Add the remaining feta cheese on the top.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

I like to serve it in a glass bowl so you can see all the colors.  This is a nice summer salad that goes together quick quickly. Enjoy!





Greek Pasta Salad

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy I will have to try this one out Elise thanks for sharing :} Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks goes to your mother Ann, she gave me the recipe. I hope you like it, let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete