Sunday, January 18, 2009

I Come Not to Bury Caesar but to Praise Him!!!

We have all experienced Julius Caesar through the writings of William Shakespeare. Who hasn't uttered the lines from the play Julius Caesar sometime in their life. We can all recite the words from Marc Antony's Speech:

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him;
The evil that men do lives after them,
The good is oft interred with their bones,
So let it be with Caesar ...

Or the other famous line:

"Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s".

I wonder if Caesar's heirs had a good agent and a licensing agreement, imagine the money they are making if there was a good one in place. Every where you turn you see good old Caesar's stamp, what restaurant have you been in that doesn't have a Ceasar Salad on the menu,then we have Julius Caesar the play by The Bard himself, Caesar's Woman Perfume, Little Caesar's Pizza, and lest we forget Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas, and tonight I added
Hail Caesar's Pork Chops (I hope I don't have to pay any royalties.)

I was going through some old recipe files and found a recipe for pork chops that were dipped into Blue Cheese Salad Dressing. I thought they might make a nice change for dinner, because I remembered that they had been very moist. The only problem was that I had been playing around with all these Buffalo Wing recipes lately and when I went to get the Blue Cheese there was none.

As I said to my children so many times, cooking is like a good batter, sometimes you get the signs, but then you just have to bunt! I had a few bottles of Caesar Salad Dressing mix so I thought, why not???

I made a few other adjustments as I went, in fact, I think I reinvented the recipe, because I added Panko crumbs in place of breadcrumbs, threw in some grating cheese, trust me, I changed it. Here is the recipe I used to make these delicious pork chops (by the way, if you don't eat pork chops, I think this recipe would work very well with Veal Chops, but if they are thicker, you may have to adjust your cooking time accordingly.) These are so easy to make, and they were tender and delicious!

Hail Caesar Pork Chops

¼ cup Wondra flour
2 teaspoons Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing
½ cup Marie’s Creamy Caesar salad dressing
4 boneless pork chops about ½-inch thick
½ cup grating cheese (I used Locatelli-Romano)
½ - ¾ cup Panko Crumbs


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 8 X 8-inch glass baking dish with PAM. Mix the Wondra flour and Good Seasons Italian salad dressing together in a paper dish or plate. Put the salad dressing into another dish. Mix the grating cheese and Panko crumbs together in a third dish.

Dip the pork chops into the flour mixture, coating both sides well. Then dip the floured chops into the salad dressing. Then, dip the chops into the Panko crumb mixture. Place the chops into the prepared baking dish. Make sure you discard any remaining flour mixture and salad dressing. Bake uncovered, 40 to 55 minutes until the crumbs are lightly browned and the chops are no longer pink in the center.

This is what you will need for the recipe:



Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.


Place the Wondra flour is a paper plate,
or any plate, use wax paper, whatever you like


Add the Good Season's Italian
Salad Dressing to the flour




Mix well and set aside


In another dish place the
Caesar Salad Dressing


In the third dish,
place the Panko Crumbs


Add the grating cheese to
the Panko Crumbs



Mix the crumbs and the cheese well


Spray a baking dish
(I used an 8 x 8-inch glass baking dish)
with PAM


Dip the pork chops in the
flour mixture


coat both sides well


then dip in the Caesar Salad Dressing


again, coating both sides well


and then finally in the Panko/Cheese mix


Place the chops in the baking pan



Bake for 40 - 55 minutes until
golden brown and no longer
pink inside (don't overcook
or they will get dry)


Enjoy...


Maybe old Julius Caesar got the last laugh after all,
you never hear of a Marc Antony or a Brutus Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment