Saturday, January 10, 2009

President George Bush Sr. need not read todays post!!!!


Today you will all forgive me as this post will be a little short. It's not that I am being lazy but my son David is on the interview trail and tomorrow will be stopping home. Not only because he loves me, but in reality, he is stopping home to pick up food...tons of food for he and Steven to eat while Steven is studying for the Bar exam.

The phone call came in the other night, or should I say around 1:30 am.
It was Steven...
"Mom, I am so busy here studying, there is no time to grocery shop, I'm living on fast food, can you please make something I can heat up, eat, and run."

What's a mother to do...

What else????

Go grocery shopping, and get in the kitchen and start to cook...

So, I have now made the pea soup, which I had already put in the freezer for them, the chicken soup, which is in the freezer, and today, I have made pasta fagioli, sausage and peppers, meatballs in sauce, chicken cutlets, and more. I'm tired, or old, or both. I will be posting all of these to the site in the near future.

So today, you will get a quick recipe for Broccoli, fixed with just a bit of oil and garlic. It is delicious, fast, and easy...healthy too (how unusual for me!!!!!) I also don't want my vegetarian friends to think I don't love them too.

BROCCOLI
Elise Feiner

2 package frozen broccoli spears, or fresh broccoli
2-3 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
2-3 cloves of garlic, peeled and cut in half
Salt (or garlic salt) and pepper to taste


Cook broccoli according to package directions. Take one of the pieces of cut garlic and using the cut end, rub the garlic cut end down all over a serving platter (directly on the plate.) Then, place olive oil, remaining garlic cloves, salt ,(I usually add a little garlic salt as well) and pepper in the platter. When broccoli is done, drain and place on platter. Turn the broccoli spears in the oil mixture to coat well. Remove garlic cloves; I always count the number of pieces I’ve put in a recipe beforehand so I can remove them all later. Note: For a stronger flavor of garlic you can heat the olive oil and garlic in a small frying pan for a minute or two, but no longer.


Place your peeled garlic on a serving platter or dish


Cut the garlic in half (be sure to count the number of pieces, if you are over 50, write it down so you don't forget, and try to remember where you put the paper)


Take the cut side


of a few pieces of the garlic and
rub it into the surface of the serving platter


Add a little olive oil or vegetable oil,
whatever type oil you prefer to the dish,
just barely enough to cover the bottom


Grind some fresh black pepper


Add a little salt or garlic salt if you prefer


Mix the olive to blend in the garlic, salt, and pepper.
Let this sit awhile so the oil gets the flavor of the garlic


Cook your broccoli, however you prefer -
steam it, do it in a pan with water,
however, you would normally do it


I like the new Glad Simply Cooking Microwave Steaming Bags - just put your veggies in, follow the directions on the bag and instant steamed veggies. I will only offer this as a suggestion - use less time than the box tells you, the longer cooking time makes the veggies too soft for my taste .
You can always add more time, but you can't take it away.


Carefully open the bag


Empty out any water that may have accumulated in the bag (pot, pan.)


Place your broccoli on the dish in the oil



Carefully turn each piece for a very light coating of oil
this may look a little oily, it is not
The broccoli gives off liquid from being cooked
and it blends with the oil to make it
look like there is more oil
that there actually is!


Remove the garlic pieces and count them (remember that little piece of paper)


Serve and enjoy!


PS I know this sounds crazy, but if you have any left over, this makes a great sandwich, especially if you have any croissants in the house. You can even add a little cheese to the sandwich (provolone, swiss, mozzarella, whatever you like) I like it at room temp, but you can warm it if you want to melt the cheese - yummmmm

George, you don't know what your missing!!!!!!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment