Saturday, December 20, 2008

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I am already failing blogging 101, as I promised to post everyday...

Unfortunately, life has gotten in the way as usual. I was traveling with my son and could not get internet access even with my wireless, go figure. Before we left on our trip to New Jersey for his interview, I did do a little cooking.

There are so many blog sites posting gourmet recipes, so I've decided to stick to what I cook at home, or as my father used to say, "Things cooked with love..." Whenever my kids come home, they are always requesting the things they miss, so of course, I had to make David his favorite Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. If you take a deep breath, you can smell them baking. My kind of aroma-therapy!!!!

Here is the recipe:

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

1½ cups all-purpose flour (Gold Medal®)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable shortening
¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon hot water
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups Quaker® Instant Rolled Oats
1 (12 ounce) package Nestles® mini chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 375°. Butter 2 baking sheets unless you are using non stick cookie sheets. Mix flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In a bowl with mixer at medium speed beat shortening until smooth, 1 minute. Beat in sugars, ½ cup at a time, until fluffy. Reduce speed to low. Beat in eggs one at a time, until just combined. Beat in hot water, and then add the flour mixture, until just combined. Add vanilla. Beat in chips and oatmeal until combined. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2-inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake in batches 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges. Cool on pans on rack 1 minute. Remove from sheets, and cool on racks. Makes 5 dozen very small cookies or 2 dozen jumbo cookies. I use a large cookie scoop to make the cookies uniform size and bake them 14 minutes, 7 on the top rack, 7 minutes on the bottom rack, they come out soft in the center and crisp in the middle. They may not look cooked but they will crisp up as they sit.

What you will need for the cookies

















When I make all of my baked goods, I always use Mexican Vanilla. It is the best, even if it is hard to find. When I can get it, I always keep it in stock and it is available on my website at Cooking with Love















I like to use my Kitchen-Aid for these cookies so I usually mix my dry ingredients in a paper plate so you can fold it and easily add it to the bowl. Don't forget to preheat your oven.


1. Place the flour on a paper plate, then add the baking soda












2. Add the salt to the flour












3. Mix the dry ingredients together and set aside














4. Place the shortening in the bowl of the Kitchen-Aid (I use butter flavored Crisco for these cookies)















5. Add the brown sugar (I use the brownulated, but regular brown sugar works just as well) and mix well













6. Add the granulated sugar













7. Add the eggs, one at a time













8. Add in the hot water.













9. Then add in the vanilla.













10. The mixture will be loose.













11. Add in your dry ingredients. You will see that the paper plate makes it much easier. I find a paper towel too flimsy for this job.














You will see the mixture start to thicken














12. Add in the chocolate chips (I usually use the mini chips).













Give it just a quick mix to combine the ingredients.













13. Add the oatmeal (I usually use a tad less when measuring each cup so the cookies won't be too dry)













The mix will look fairly thick at this point.












14. Spray your cookie sheet with PAM or the cooking spray of your choice. I use the disposable aluminum cookie sheets and find they work well for these cookies. I rinse and reuse them several times before discarding them.


15. Scoop the cookies depending on the size you want. I find when you drop them in large teaspoonfuls, the cookies are too crisp. I use a cookie scoop, which is available at most stores from Wal-Mart to Bed Bath and Beyond. I make very generous scoops and bake one half to one dozen to a sheet. This makes about 2 dozen large cookies. Always check your oven temperature for accuracy. I rotate the cookies from top to bottom shelf, as well as turning the trays around from front to back to get a nice evenly cooked cookie. I find seven minutes, then turn the trays, and cook an additional seven minutes, and you get perfect cookies all the time.













Place about 2 inches apart on all sides if you are making jumbo cookies.














16. Let cool on the cookie sheets for about 4-5 minutes.















17. Then remove to a rack and let cool, until either your children are home and they all get devoured or...












18. You are ready to move them to a serving plate! Enjoy...


3 comments:

  1. So glad to see the new post!
    What a great idea to take a picture of everything that's needed for the recipe - as a very inexperienced cook I often find myself wondering what a certain ingredient looks like and have no clue how to find it when I go shopping. My current big mystery is cream/heavy cream, as I have been avoiding making anything that calls for cream of any kind.
    Looking forward to more recipes and photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will have a heavy cream tutorial, lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these cookies last week and they were a huge hit in Josh's office. I think that addition of oatmeal makes people feel a little less guilty if they eat four or five. One his co-workers hadn't had a cookie in years and broke down to try one...he loved them! My new favorites.

    ReplyDelete