Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Professor and Maryann, here on You Tube or Potatoes and Eggs made easy !!!!


The year is 1964 when life was so much simpler, and a little (okay, not so little) 11 girl is lying on the rug in front of the TV watching her favorite TV show, Gilligan's Island. I don't know who I liked more Jim Backus as Thurston Howell III, Natalie Schafer as Lovey Howell, Alan Hale Jr, as the Skipper, Tina Louise as Ginger Grant, or my favorite pair Russell Johnson as the Professor, and Dawn Welles as Mary Ann. I guess, truth be told, it was Mary Ann who was my favorite, and now I know why.

Yesterday, my cousin Michele sent me an-mail with a video from You Tube of Dawn Welles peeling a potato. Now, you ask, what's so great about this? When you watch the video, you will understand...all these years, why didn't someone tell me this hint before??????

It turns out that Mary Ann was much smarter than the Professor after all!!!!

Here is a video that you must watch - let's hope that it's true and it really works...

Why didn't I find this out earlier in the week

before making all the potato salad and an upcoming post
for potato croquettes. I can't wait to try it.

Here is the link (for some reason the video wouldn't upload - sorry)


My friend Lorraine always told me about a hint that she read in Family CIrcle Magazine by Michael Tyrell, Associate Editor. He said that if you put a tablespoon of vegetable oil in the water when you are making hard boiled eggs, it becomes very easy to peel then. This is a great hint with Passover and Easter coming. Who hasn't had a hard boiled egg that was a problem to


peel and it seems to always happen when you need to use them whole as in a deviled egg, or as part of a Seder at Passover. Let's try this hint at the holidays this year and see what happens.
Let me know if you try it and it works.

The rational for the oil is that the shells of the eggs are porous and that the oil enters the shells and makes the skins come off more easily.

2 comments:

  1. wow, I can't believe the potato skin just came off like that, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post of helpful hints, Elise. Hope you'll post more as you come across them.

    I've always taken the skins off potatoes after boiling them (if the recipe allows for boiling them first). It's SO much easier and only takes seconds. I don't even mess with a bowl of ice water, just hold them under a slow stream of cold water in the sink while I slip the skins off.

    Haven't tried the egg and oil trick though. That would be great if it works well. I put just cooked hard-boiled eggs in a bowl and fill it with cold water and then just let the cold water run slowly into the bowl keeping them cool. As long as you cool them down quickly and thoroughly after cooking, they are really easy to peel. Fortunately the water out of my tap is near freezing year round.

    ReplyDelete